Applying for your Director ID as an Australian resident for tax purposes is a straight forward
This is a reminder that as of 5 April 2022 anyone intending to set up a new company will require a Director’s ID. Current Directors have until the 30 November 2022 to apply for their ID.
Step 1: If you don’t already have one, register for a myGovID (view instructions on how to set this up.) You will need to download the myGovID app to your smart device and scan your identity documents.
This differs from your my gov account you may have. The app looks like this and can be downloaded from the app store.
Step 2: Once you have set up your myGovID, you need to apply to the ABRS for your director ID here. Use the email you used to create your myGovID to start the process. In addition to your myGovID, you will need to have on hand documentation that matches the information held by the ATO. If you have a myGov account linked to the ATO, you can find the details on your myGov profile here. You will need:
• Your tax file number
• The residential address held on file by the ATO; and
• Two documents that verify your identity such as:
- Your bank account details held by the ATO (on your myGov ATO account, see ‘my profile/financial institution details’)
- Dividend statement investment reference number
- Notice of assessment (NOA) – date of issue and the reference number (on your myGov ATO account, see Tax/lodgements/income tax/history)
- The gross amount from your PAYG payment summary
- Superannuation details including your super fund’s ABN and your member account number
The final stage requests your personal contact details (not the company’s). Once complete, your director ID will be issued immediately on screen. This information should be provided to your company secretary or office holder and to us as your ASIC Agent.
Applying by phone or using paper forms
You can choose to verify your identity and apply for your director ID by phone (13 62 50) or on paper here. You will need to have your identification documents available (see the list here.) If you are applying using the paper form, your identity documentation will need to be certified by an authorised certifier such as a Barrister, Justice of the Peace etc.
How to Manage your Director ID
If you have a myGovID, from November 2021 you can log in to ABRS online to view your Director ID or update your details whenever you need to:
• check your number and status, including when it was issued;
• view things to do, actions in progress and past activity; and
• edit your profile preferences and some of your personal details.
Your Director ID obligations include:
• applying for a Director ID within the relevant timeframe for your situation;
• applying for a Director ID when directed by the Registrar to do so;
• not applying for more than one Director ID (unless directed by the Registrar to do so);
• not misrepresenting your Director ID to a Commonwealth body, company, registered Australian body or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation; and
• not being involved in a breach of the above obligations.
If you don’t meet your obligation there may be civil or criminal penalties and you may be issued with an infringement notice.
We look forward to receiving your Director ID from you, and please contact us here if you need assistance with your application or if you have any difficulties with this.